With more than 20,000 students fully vaccinated, CSU announces new vaccine, screening and mask mandates for Fall 2021
Dear CSU Community,
Perhaps the most powerful lesson that COVID-19 has taught us is that we can act quickly and effectively to protect ourselves and one another. CSU’s powerful culture of compassion and outreach has already led us successfully through an academic year upended by the pandemic.
As we head into our in-person Fall 2021 semester, we call on each of you to remember that Rams Take Care of Rams and to adhere to the new vaccine, mask and screening mandates outlined here. Each member of our community is responsible for our own health; together, we are responsible for the health of the more vulnerable amongst us, particularly young children, older members of our community and the immunocompromised. We are so grateful to the more than 20,000 students who are fully vaccinated; we urge you all to follow their example to keep everyone at CSU healthy this Fall.
New vaccine, mask and screening mandates
To respond to rapidly unfolding impacts of increasing confirmed cases of COVID-19 and the spread of the Delta variant, CSU is mandating vaccines, screenings and masks, effective immediately.
Vaccination or twice-weekly screening required
Mandatory submission of proof of a COVID vaccine: All students, faculty and staff are required to submit their vaccine status or declare an exemption by Wednesday, Aug. 18. This is an expansion of the plan the CSU System announced in April and its decision at the August Board of Governors meeting to reaffirm its position to allow its campuses to act according to the needs of campus, the local community, and public health guidance. This includes the authority to mandate vaccines while waiting for FDA approval, which is predicted to happen soon.
- CSU will recognize, and accept with proof, all vaccines approved for use by the World Health Organization.
- Mandatory twice-weekly screenings for all unvaccinated individuals, beginning Monday, Aug. 16. This includes individuals who have declared an exemption.
- Mandatory twice-weekly screening will be extended indefinitely: it will not conclude at the end of August, as previously communicated. Screening appointments and locations are available on the COVID website.
- Unvaccinated students, faculty and staff can register for a vaccine through clinics offered on Main Campus in August. More information about where to get a vaccine is available on our COVID website.
- Non-compliance with the vaccine mandate will be addressed through existing university polices as they apply to students, faculty and staff.