Traveling for the Holidays? ‘Waterproof’ Your Home Before You Leave
SERVPRO water damage remediation specialists in the Fort Collins area provide a six-step plan for keeping your home dry and healthy while you’re away
For many, the holiday season includes travel, whether to join a family gathering or enjoy a holiday. These traditional holiday trips stand to amplify an already growing travel demand. As the holiday travel season approaches, the water and fire remediation specialists at SERVPRO® caution homeowners to go beyond buying tickets and packing a suitcase. Homeowners need to “waterproof” their homes.
6 Important Steps to take BEFORE you leave:
- Ask Someone to Check on the House While You’re Gone. Asking a friend or family member to stop by while you’re gone may catch a problem before it becomes a disaster.
- Check for leaks. Inspect pipes under kitchen and bathroom sinks. Check your water heater for cracks or rust, and ensure that hoses connected to dishwashers, refrigerators, and washing machines are leak free.
- Insulate exposed pipes. Insulating exposed pipes can help prevent them from freezing in cold climates, but wherever you live, your home needs constant air circulation to help prevent water damage and mold caused by condensation. Keep the HVAC system turned on and open the cupboard doors under sinks to promote airflow.
- Turn Off the Main Water Valve. If you don’t know where this is, this is an excellent time to find out – and then shut it off
- Clear Gutters and Downspouts of Debris. Clear out debris, dirt, leaves, and sticks, and position downspouts to direct water at least ten feet away from the home to prevent flooding.
- Inspect and Test the Sump Pump. If you have a sump pump, test it before leaving by filling the sump pit with water and watching to see if it empties the water. This can mean the difference between finding a dry or flooded basement when you arrive home.
SERVPRO specializes in fire and water cleanup, restoration, and repair services, helping to remediate damage for commercial and residential customers.
For more information about SERVPRO, please visit HERE.