Fort Collins Ranks as a Best City to Raise a Family in the U.S.
As a diversion from all the ‘world-is-about-to-end’ election news, here’s a good news story for you.
Our city was just named the fourth Best City to Raise a Family in the country by Livability. Fort Collins was described best for its sunshine, outdoor recreation opportunities, parks and family/pet friendly restaurants, breweries and activity centers.
It wasn’t just the candy stores (yes that was a ranking criteria) that put Fort Collins in the mix. Livability’s data scientists and editors also ranked cities based on:
- Number of potential playmates (percent of the population that is under age 6)
- Quality of public schools
- Measures of children’s health
- Affordability of housing and transportation options
- Cost of childcare
- Number of daycare options, parks and libraries
We agree with this ranking. Not only do great schools, neighborhoods and parks contribute to the community’s quality of life, but the ability of the community to afford these first-rate quality of life public amenities depends on strong businesses and economy. In that regard, it’s great to be us.
So, according to Livability, the 2018 Best Cities to Raise a Family in the U.S. are:
- Moscow, Idaho
- Ann Arbor, Michigan
- Beaverton, Oregon
- Fort Collins, Colorado
- Bloomington, Indiana
- State College, Pennsylvania
- Oak Park, Illinois
- Fayetteville, Arkansas
- Morgantown, West Virginia
- Bozeman, Montana