Today’s Coloradoan has a story about the new role that Poudre Valley Health System President & CEO Rulon Stacey has taken on due to the merger of PVHS and University of Colorado Hospital. Rulon is the chief executive officer of the new organization, which is called University of Colorado Health.
I put on a happy face in the article and stand behind the words we will still benefit from his leadership in his new role, but I am sorry to lose him as a resident of Fort Collins. He has been more than the head of our health care system. Rulon has been a strong community leader, and that is hard to replace.
So, Rulon, thank you for everything you’ve done for the community, we look forward to continuing to work with you and best of luck in your new role.
# # #
About Rulon Stacey:
- Rulon F. Stacey, Ph.D., joined Poudre Valley Health System in 1996. Since that time, Dr. Stacey has led the transformation of PVHS into a health system with more than 5,300 employees and a dozen facilities in three states.
- During his time in Fort Collins, Dr. Stacey has distinguished himself as a healthcare executive, international speaker and author.
- He has developed some innovative partnerships that include nearly 20 joint ventures with physicians groups in the region and Medical Center of the Rockies, and a unique joint venture regional tertiary referral center between PVHS and Regional West Medical Center, Scotsbluff, Neb.These joint ventures have allowed the health system to focus on quality outcomes, while nearly quadrupling the net revenue and net assets of the health system.
- Dr. Stacey received the 1999 Robert S. Hudgens Award from the American College of Healthcare Executives as the Young Healthcare Executive of the Year.
- In November 2008, the President of the United States announced that Poudre Valley Health System was one of only three organizations and the only healthcare organization in the United States to receive that year’s prestigious Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award, the nation’s highest recognition for performance excellence.
- In March 2011 Dr. Stacey was confirmed as Chairman of the American College of Healthcare Executives governing board.
- In August 2011, Modern Healthcare named Dr. Stacey among the 100 Most Influential People in Healthcare for 2011.
- Regularly, Poudre Valley Health System is recognized as one of the top 100 health systems in the U.S.
- Dr. Stacey is also the author of Over Our Heads, an account of why healthcare costs in the United States are so high.
- A native of Provo,Utah, Dr. Stacey holds a bachelor of science in economics and a master’s degree in health administration from Brigham Young Universityand a doctor of philosophy in Public Administration from the University of Colorado.
- Dr. Stacey became chief executive officer of University of Colorado Health in 2012.