Solid Waste Project Director - Larimer County
Larimer County requires that all applications be submitted through our website larimer.org/jobs.
The mission of the Larimer County Department of Solid Waste is to supply integrated waste management in an environmentally sound manner to the citizens of Larimer County. Our primary emphasis is on quality customer service superior to that normally found in the public sector.
We are committed to providing excellence in the services we deliver to the citizens of Larimer County. We will provide these services in a professional, simple and cost effective manner, always maintaining a high standard of ethics and foresight and never compromising long range needs for short term benefits.
Solid waste is looking for a skilled Project Director to join our dynamic team of professionals. This position is responsible for planning, coordinating, administering, creating, and managing functions of solid waste related planning and infrastructure delivery in Larimer County. This person develops and implements policy to Solid Waste services. This position serves as a key project leader involved with solid waste planning and program development for Larimer County and the North Front Range Regional Wasteshed Coalition, including the delivery of programs and infrastructure for the next generation of solid waste management upon closure of the existing County landfill. This project is estimated to take 8 to 9 years to complete and this position will exist for the life line of the project.
Specifically this position is responsible for:
- Program Development: Guides implementation of future regional solid waste policies, practices, and regulations; Reviews legislative changes for impact on existing programs; Directs, coordinates, and maximizes the integration and cooperation of solid waste programs.
- Project Management: Responsible for daily management of solid waste projects for Larimer County; Prepares contract documents outlining program scope of work and leads process for Requests for Proposals; Recommends approval of proposed construction budgets and adjustments; Understands, analyzes and develops budget costs and manages budgetary limitations.
- Agency Coordination and Public Involvement: Assists in coordination of solid waste programs by local governments within Larimer County; Leads coordination for stakeholder advisory groups; Promotes consistent exchange of information and establishes and maintains collaborative relationships with all stakeholders and community members.
- May serve as a representative on behalf of the County at meetings involving outside public and private agencies.
- A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited U.S. college or university, or certified foreign studies equivalency in engineering, geology, business administration or a closely related field.
- Five (5) years of professional experience providing management and/or administrative services in the solid waste services field, including landfills, recycling, construction & demolition, and organic waste management.
- Five (5) years of professional project management experience.
- Ability to obtain Project Management Professional (PMP) certification within two years of employment.
- Demonstrated experience working directly with elected officials and representatives from Local and State agencies.
- An offer of employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment drug screen. As marijuana is an illegal substance under federal law, testing positive for marijuana (medical or otherwise) or any other substance for which the county tests, will result in the contingent offer of employment being revoked. A successful completion of the drug screen is defined as obtaining a negative result.
The work environment is divided between an office environment and the field. Incumbents are exposed to computer screens. Work involves frequent travel to locations within Larimer County to conduct site visits and attend meetings.
In addition to competitive, market-based pay, Larimer County offers excellent employee benefits for all regular and limited term employees.
Larimer County benefits include:
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Retirement plans – mandatory 401(a) & voluntary 457(b)
- Paid holidays, vacation and sick leave
- Long-term and short-term disability
- Life insurance
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Employee Assistance Program
- Employee Wellness Program
- Wellness Clinic (must be enrolled in the County’s medical plan)
- Professional development trainings
Phone: (970) 498-5989
Email: [email protected]