Corrections Deputy/Jail Deputy (Certified or Non-Certified) - Larimer County Sheriff's Office
One Agency. One Mission: Public Safety.
This selection process will be in preparation for hire in April, July, or October of 2021.
If you have 3 or more years of experience as corrections or jail deputy, please exit this application and apply for our “Experienced Jail Deputy (Lateral Program) job opportunity.”
A Jail Deputy maintains the security of the Larimer County Jail while preserving order to ensure the safety and welfare of staff, visitors, and inmates.
The Larimer County Sheriff’s Office is seeking skilled problem-solvers to join our team. The ideal candidate is a natural communicator and can effectively diffuse and de-escalate tense, face-to-face interactions, make good decisions quickly, and takes pride in being resourceful and innovative.
Larimer County will be expanding and improving the Jail over the next five years. We’re looking to enhance the Larimer County Sheriff’s Office family by hiring several individuals as Certified and Non-Certified Deputies. With the plans for expansion and improvements, employees will enjoy natural light, an enjoyable and relaxing break area, state-of-the-art equipment, and all the tools necessary to do their jobs safely. Jail Deputies have access to mentors, endless training, special assignments, promotional opportunities, and a wonderful group of team members to work with and provide support.
Larimer County Jail is not your typical jail. It’s clean, professional, and the layout is an open concept (see choosing a career video below). The County offers medical, dental, vision, employer-paid long-term and short-term disability, amongst other benefits.
If you are past military and are GI Bill eligible, if hired you may qualify to be reimbursed through your GI Bill during the training period for this job.
- Effectively and coherently use interpersonal communication skills to communicate with inmates, professional visitors, and the public by providing information and directions, mediating disputes, and advising of rights and processes.
- Conduct visual and audio surveillance of inmates for extended periods of time.
- Perform crisis intervention functions to include inmate counseling, suicide prevention, recognizing abnormal behavior, and implementing appropriate intervention actions.
- Engage in activities in confined areas. Walk extensively on foot patrol and physically checks doors, windows, and other areas to ensure they are secure.
- Read and comprehend legal and non-legal documents, including the processing of such documents as medical instructions, commitment orders, summons, and other legal writs and court documents.
Click here to view the complete job description and full salary range for a Jail Deputy.
Sheriff Justin Smith encourages forward-thinking, servant leadership, and a sense of family among all Sheriff’s Office members. Headquartered in Fort Collins, Colorado, the Sheriff’s Office is an agency of over 400 family-oriented employees, dealing with a range of responsibilities including support services, patrol, jail, wildland fire, search and rescue, and investigation duties. If you are seeking a career, have a desire to serve your community, and want to work alongside others with the same mindset, the Larimer County Sheriff’s Office is a great place to call home.
Larimer County is located in the heart of North Central Colorado, extending west to the Continental Divide, north to the Wyoming border, and is home to Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park. Over 300 days of sunshine each year provide Larimer County residents and visitors the opportunity to enjoy a wide spectrum of recreational opportunities such as hiking, fishing, and camping.
An hour north of Denver, Fort Collins is home to Colorado State University and offers a diverse culture of education, breweries, historic charm, a thriving economy, and is a bike-friendly community. Throughout the year, live music and entertainment, as well as great local dining, can be found in the historic downtown area. Fort Collins offers the convenience of a small town with all the amenities of a larger city.
The City’s long list of acknowledgments includes:
- #1 in Top 100 Places to Live – Livability.com, 2020
- Best Cities for First-Time Homebuyers – SmartAsset, 2020
- #3 U.S. Cities with Highest Econimic Confidence – Yahoo.com
- #1 City in America for Cycling – People for Bikes 2020
- Top 100 best Cities to Start a Family – Lendedu
- Must be 21 years of age by date of hire.
- No experience is required.
- High school diploma or GED required.
- Current first aid and community CPR certificates.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid Driver’s License
As a Jail Deputy, your primary responsibility will be to serve as a supervisor and role model for the inmate population in the Larimer County Jail, which is a direct supervision jail. Additional responsibilities include: setting clear expectations with inmates, using positive reinforcement techniques, assuring inmates accountability for their behavior, and treating inmates with respect, consideration, fairness, and justice.
We strive to be skilled, hard-working, resourceful, and prepared. We are looking for talented, career-oriented men and women to join our team. This position is open to anyone; Colorado POST-certified candidates would receive premium pay. Interested in becoming POST Certified? The Larimer County Sheriff’s Office will help you obtain your POST Certification through partial tuition reimbursement.
If you possess integrity, tolerance, patience, and want to put your people skills towards serving your community, this position is perfect for you! We hope you’ll consider being part of our team!
- Shift work required.
- Shifts require working days, nights, weekends, and holidays.
- An offer of employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment drug screen and background check.
- As marijuana is an illegal substance under federal law, testing positive for marijuana (medical or otherwise) or any other substance for which the county tests will result in the contingent offer of employment being revoked. Successful completion of the drug screen is defined as obtaining a negative result.
- Successful applicants will be required to meet all of the following qualifications prior to hiring:
- Must be 21 years of age by date of hire
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States
- Cannot have a felony conviction
- No convictions involving domestic violence
- No use of illegal drugs within the past five years
- No use of marijuana in any form within the past two years
- Pass integrity questionnaire
- Pass a written examination
- Pass the following physical fitness agility test based on the Essential Job Functions, with or without reasonable accommodation:
- 1.5 mile run in 16 minutes or less
- Physical Agility Course similar to the LawFit course. Applicants will receive an outline describing the course.
Following the Physical Fitness Test, you must also:
- Pass oral board interview
- Pass an in-depth background investigation including criminal history and financial status
- Pass polygraph examination
- Pass a Captain’s interview and receive a conditional offer
- Pass psychological evaluation
- Pass medical examination
- Pass drug testing
- Possess or obtain First Aid and CPR (All Ages) certificates by date of hire
- Possess or obtain these NIMS certifications by date of hire: IS-100.b, IS-200.b, and IS-700.a (found at http://www.training.fema.gov/IS/NIMS.aspx)
This posting is “Open Until Filled” and may close at any time. Once there is no longer a hiring need, further applications received will not be considered.
An offer of employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment drug screen. As marijuana is an illegal substance under federal law, testing positive for marijuana (medical or otherwise) or any other substance for which the county tests, will result in the contingent offer of employment being revoked. Successful completion of the drug screen is defined as obtaining a negative result.
Phone: (970) 498-5550
Email: [email protected]