Certified Coder - Associates in Family Medicine
Associates in Family Medicine, P.C. was founded in 1962 by Dr. Donald Wells. Since then, AFM has grown to nine full-service offices and more than 70 medical providers throughout Northern Colorado.
What do we stand for?
No matter why they come to see us, our patients want a convenient, wholehearted approach to health. That means a consistent experience they can count on and peace of mind, regardless of where they go or who they see. At AFM, we believe every body deserves exceptional care with every visit. We deliver compassion both in the office and out. We truly value our patients and their time. That’s why we actively listen to and talk with them, as well as our team members. And we not only offer comfort and clarity, but build honest, lasting patient relationships that put every mind at ease.
Empowering our staff to deliver compassionate, convenient healthcare and advocate well-being and peace of mind throughout your neighborhood – always.
Benefits & Pay Overview
AFM is proud to offer a comprehensive benefits package to eligible employees!
• Full-time Employees:
o Medical, Dental, Vision, and Long-Term Disability
• Part-time and Full-time Employees:
o Life Insurance (with AD&D), Flexible Spending Accounts, Short-Term Disability, Identity Protection, Pet Insurance, Employee Assistance Plans, and a generous 401(k)
• This is a non-exempt position with a starting wage of $17.00 – $19.33 per hour based on experience.
This position is responsible for proper coding and billing of all medical charges for a patient-centered family practice group. This individual also demonstrates the ability to work effectively with others in a team-based environment through a variety of business situations. This person is professional, flexible, caring, and self-motivated.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Review each provider’s daily charges and chart notes for accuracy and completeness to validate the charges and diagnosis chosen. Correct as needed.
• Add modifiers as needed.
• Check for HCC coding
• Help train providers on proper note structure and charges.
• Assist billing team with proper coding on denied claims.
• Perform general office duties including but not limited to replenishing machines and supplies.
• Sort and open mail and incoming faxes.
MISCELLANEOUS DUTIES, RESPONSIBILITIES, AND EXPECTATIONS
• Able to work the minimum number of hours required for the position which could include any operating hours of the clinics (potential for evening and weekend hours).
• Demonstrate knowledge of all AFM Policies.
• Ensure highest levels of patient satisfaction.
• Maintain the highest standard of personal ethics. Follow through with or transfer care for all services provided by AFM.
• Attend focus groups, committee meetings, all staff meetings, office huddles, and any other meetings as necessary.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Certified Processional Coding (CPC) certificate and three (3) months’ related experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
SKILLS and ABILITIES
• Knowledge of basic Microsoft Office Suite. EMR system familiarity preferred.
• Demonstrate the ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, and governmental regulations; the ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals; and the ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of staff, managers, patients, shareholders, and the general public.
• Demonstrate the ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals and the ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, and percentages.
• Demonstrate the ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form; solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situation where only limited standardization exists; and make sound business decisions based on available facts.
• Demonstrate the ability to work well with people and to remain calm and be effective in emergency situations.
• Possess sound judgment and be able to use a persuasive style of management when accomplishing things through people. Exhibit behavior which emphasizes quality, loyalty, and conscientiousness.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit; reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move more than 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust focus.
Medical Office setting. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to risk of electrical shock and risk of radiation. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
This job description is not an all-inclusive statement of every duty and responsibility required of the employee. This job description may change over time. The pay scale for this position is based on performance with a minimum at $17.00 per hour and a maximum of $25.00 per hour guided by tenure at Associates in Family Medicine.