Accountant - CARE Housing Inc.
CARE Housing, Inc. (CARE) is a private, non-profit affordable housing development and property management organization based in Fort Collins, Colorado. The mission of the CARE is to create an equitable and just community through high-quality affordable housing and transformative resident services. We envision a Northern Colorado community where an affordable home is available to everyone.
CARE is expanding its team to address the affordable housing challenges of Northern Colorado. CARE is recruiting for an Accountant who will support CARE’s mission through various accounting functions, monthly financial reports, auditing, and maintaining accounts receivable and accounts payable.
Full-Time | Exempt | Reports to Director of Finance
Compensation: The salary range for this position is $45,760-$52,000.
Why join the CARE Housing team?
The CARE staff brings a variety of skills to the organization to execute on the organization’s housing and community development strategy and achieve our mission. Each staff member brings unique value to our organization, while operating with the following shared values: Equity, Inclusion, Continuous Improvement, Commitment, Service, Passion, and being Solutions-focused.
CARE offers comprehensive compensation and benefits packages (health, dental, and vision insurance plans, and generous vacation accrual, etc.), on-going training, and opportunities for growth.
- Maintain and allocate transactions for multiple apartment communities and administrative organization, CARE Inc.
- Ensure adequate documentation for recording and payments including validity of debt, accounting codes, and authorization by appropriate staff.
- Set up and maintain vendor files to meet CARE’s minimum requirements and prepare checks and/or electronic payments for weekly vendor payments.
- Collect and analyze supporting documents for employee procurement card purchases and employee expense reimbursements and record payable entries.
- Reconcile monthly vendor statements for payment, uncashed checks, bank statements and security deposits.
- Assist in areas of monthly rent posting and recording of non-tenant revenues as authorized by Director of Finance.
- Support Director of Finance with preparation of annual budgets, analysis of monthly variances, and regular reporting.
- Ensure internal controls and compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Assist with planning for Property Operations and Development teams on large scale capital improvement projects.
- Prepare and file periodic reports with the Colorado Secretary of State and 1099s.
- Assist with troubleshooting, fixing, and recommending improvements to company software.
- Review payroll taxes and cost allocations within payroll system.
- Provide regular reports and recommendations regarding retirement funds.
- Perform other accounting and asset management duties as assigned.
- Participate in training and educational opportunities for ongoing professional development.
Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related field required. Minimum of 3 years in business finance and accounting. A combination of relevant experience and education may substitute for the above requirements.
Generally accepted accounting principles and practices and project accounting.
Preferred, not required:
Real estate transactions or experience with land acquisition, financing and construction management.
Section 42 Low-income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) program and other affordable housing financing, including but not limited to, private activity bonds, HUD, CDBG, and HOME.
Fair housing laws, regulations, and requirements.
Asset management, accounting, and budgeting.
YARDI and/or similar accounting software.
Apply generally accepted accounting principles and practices, and project accounting.
Take ownership of assigned tasks and independently manage tasks to resolution.
Collaborate successfully with a wide variety of internal and external partners.
Perform mathematical computations, including but not limited to, fractions, percentages, and ratios.
Understand financial information and utilize it to help guide and evaluate business decisions.
Excellent computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office and advanced Excel.
Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication and organizational skills.
Exceptional analytical detail-oriented skills to handle multiple tasks and deadlines.
Use of personal vehicle, must have liability insurance and valid driver’s license.
Americans with Disability Act (ADA) Requirements:
Physical: Light physical activity required by handling objects up to twenty (20) pounds occasionally and/or up to ten (10) pounds frequently.
Sensory: Ability to read fine print on documents. Able to speak clearly and make self-understood, while also understanding others using the English language.
Cognitive: Ability to understand and relate to concepts behind specific ideas and remember multiple tasks/assignments given to others over a period of days. Able to concentrate on moderate detail in both office and field with moderate interruption. Able to attend task/function for more than 60 minutes at a time.
Environment: The work required of this position is mostly conducted in an indoor office environment. For occasional outdoor and construction environments—exposure to different climates. Exposure to dust, dirt, air particles, and hazardous materials common to residential construction sites.
Equipment: Standard office equipment such as a computer, fax, copier/printer.
COVID-19 Information: This position is required to work on-site at one or more CARE Housing properties. To ensure the safety of applicants, staff, and residents, strict safety protocols will be followed and enforced. Working remotely may be required for this position. Further details will be provided if selected and contacted for a phone screening.
CARE Housing is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply.
Please submit the following documents:
Cover letter, resume and three professional references with current contact information.
Email: [email protected]